These Cowgirl Cookies are a greatest-hits goldmine as far as taste and adventure are concerned; rolled oats, sliced almonds, dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries, coconut-- it's all in there, and it all works. They come together quickly, too, so you'll get that satisfied, mission-accomplished feeling without much effort at all. And the people that you love will love you for it... if, that is, you're inclined to share the bounty (you're not obligated). So bake 'em up, cowgirls. And let me know what you think!
Click Read More for the what and the how.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature, or 8 Tablespoons Spectrum spread
- 1 egg
- one ripe banana
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- zest from one large orange
- 1 cup oat flour (you can also use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (go for the good ones)
What You'll Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and egg together until well blended, then mix in the banana through zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour through chocolate chips) and mix so well so that they're evenly distributed.
- Stir the dry ingredients thoroughly into the wet ingredients.
- Spoon large cookie-dough-blobs (about two Tblsp. worth each) onto a greased cookie sheet, about three inches apart. Bake for 18-20 minutes, and cool on a metal rack.